Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thoughts from Tuesday's class...

I just wanted to say that Jillana and Debrah, I found your comments in class to be quite interesting. Jillana, your comment that sometimes walks are more like b-lines, straight for our respective destinations perked my attention. I agree, I often find myself making b-lines about my day, especially during the school day. I just want to get to where I'm going as soon as possible, as directly as possible. However, there are times when I really enjoy leisurely, mindful walks that allow me to meander freely throughout the city.
And Debrah, I really liked your comment about the 'one-arm push guy' who patrols Whyte Ave. It made me think of 'Whyte Ave Dan,' the Beatles look-alike who can be found busking outside of the Army & Navy department store. Although must of us do not likely know these Whyte Ave icons in-depth, we do share a connection together as a city because we share a collective knowledge of these characters.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the 'characters'. For someone who lives just off Whyte and is constantly walking up and down those streets, I can think of a lot of these characters. Like, band-aid face lady. And this one particular homeless man, obviously on drugs, - who's name I know (Billy) from over hearing a conversation once. There's also the Asian man who plays his instrument beautiflly on the corner of in front of Chianti's. Somehow, all these characters, even though maybe someone I'd be afraid to talk to, give a certain comfort to a place. I see them, and I know I'm almost home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but there have been a few times where i've had the urge to bring one of these character types a sandwich when they're busking. I hate giving money to people because i don't know what they'll do with it. I'll just go to the nearest fast food place, grab some food and sit down with them for a sandwich or a slice of pizza. they're extremely appreciative and will often give you one heck of a good story, one that's definately worth the price of a sandwich. Once, me and a girl sat down after the fringe with a group of bums who put on a show while busking. they offered celebrity autographs done on the spot, celebrity memorabilia including Brett the hit man Heart's championship belt and just had a good time being loud.

    ReplyDelete