Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The more I know, the more I don't know

This week also has me stumped about what I should blog about.
In retaliation to the blogger's block that I am experiencing, I have decided
to express my thoughts on the topic of space, place and where I fit in within Edmonton.

What I have come to realize is that the more I read about Edmonton as well as other peoples personal anecdotes about the city, I am becoming more and more perplexed as to where exactly I fit in within the mix.

I have an address and a temporary living arrangement with three other roomates in a house which I have grown quite comfortable in over the last eight months. But now that the end of the school year as well as the end of my lease is approaching, I am wondering where I will live next.

Moving is always stressful, especially as a student who is on a tight budget. House hunting is even worse when trying to agree upon common aspects of price range, location and who gets what bedroom with two other similarly strapped-for-cash students.

What I have come to understand is that at least for now, I will find a place to call home for the summer and for the coming school year, but I am forever looking forward to the day when I am finally in a position to find a place to truly call home. I believe only then will house hunting no longer be as stressful or as daunting a task because I will presumably have the financial stability to expand my house hunting horizons.

I just am growing tired of only living life in a house for eight month stints. A place with some permanence would be nice...

3 comments:

  1. I kind of understand what you mean about living in a real home, not just a place you sleep in. Right now I'm living in a house with my family but its under some major construction, and yet we are still living in it. I went from having a room to sleeping on a matress in the basement in the corner. I've gotten used to it and sort of consider it "my room" now, but I feel like a drifter. The house is so messy and unfamiliar and the walls have been painted different colours, that it doesn't feel like my house anymore. My room used to have a great view where I could see on to the backyard and into the street where kids would play. Now that we've added a room onto the side of the house (my side of the house) I lost my view except for the top of the neighbours house and the sky. Then the other day I slept over at my cousins house which was neat and clean and we all sat on a dining room table and had dinner. The feeling was so foreign to me because we haven't done that for months.

    So anyway, a permanent home can be nice, but sometimes just packing up and moving away would be really great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel. I moved out of my parents house over 4 years ago and lived in different cities (and countries) ever since and although I remember all of those places with fondness and considered them my home for the time being, I'm also looming forward to the day when I will permanently settle down in a house (and yes it has to be a house), which I can call my own. Wherever that may be in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like being a lighthouse. You only see what your light touches and as your light get stronger and you can see further the more you realize you don't know.

    ReplyDelete