Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"Uncle Mike, Uncle Mike!"

As I read Harley Reid's personal anecdote entitled "The King and Queen and Uncle Mike," I realized that the reason why I enjoyed this story so much was because of the childhood innocence and excitement that was evoked withinthe text. I was able to picture the bustle of "a small army of excited children,"as they waited in anticipation to witness such a spectacle (297).

Despite the fact that Mike Kelly is not my uncle, nor is he any relative of mine, both Harley Reid and I share a knowledge and sense of familiarity regarding Mike Kelly. Since it was Tony Cashman who first introduced me to Mike Kelly, I was not only surprised but excited to read about him again. I was also simultaneously relieved to find that Mike Kelly's presentation as a proud policeman was cohesive between Cashman's text and Goyette's text.

It truly brought a smile to my face when I read the last line of Reid's story which says, "[t]he Royal motorcade came by later" (298). This is the childhood innocence that I have been speaking of; a young boy too consumed by the thought of being able to show off infront of his classmates because he got to see his Uncle Mike to even really bat an eyelid at the sight of the King and Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment